Thank you for visiting this site!
Here I report on recent events and keep materials that I find important to share with you!
- I am happy to present the books “Development and Dystopia” and “Demodernization” at the Europakolloquium at the Institute for European Global Studies, Basel University, 29 October 2019.
- I will report on “Democracy and Authoritarianism in Eastern Europe, 1989–2019” at the Basel University seminar on Ringvorlesung «Polen in Europa – Europa in Polen», 11 December 2019.
- Looking forward to make report on the Ideological foundations of the trems of Civil War and War for Independence in Ukrainian and Georgian historiographies at the conference “Civil War(s) from the Dniester River to the Pacific Ocean after 1917: Multi-Level Approaches to a Conflict” the Sorbonne University, 12 December 2019.
Recent academic reports and publications:
- My philosophic introduction “Between Fire and Fire. From Flash to Flash of the Ukrainian Revolutions (in Eng., RUs. and Ukr)” to the “Between Fire and Fire: Ukrainian Art Now” (Semperdepot, Vienna, 20 September – 8 October 2019) exhibition is published in the exibition album.
- I am honored to join History Department of the Basel University as URIS visiting scholar for the fall semester 2019.
- My new article on Ukrainians assessment of the Choice 1991 (in Russian) was published in Форум новейшей восточноевропейской истории и культуры, August 2019.
- Orysia Bila and I have finished the work on the Ukraina Moderna Journal special issue #26 dedicated to contemporary Ukraine’s philosophy. The issue “Philosophy Case in contemporary Ukraine” was published in August 2019 due to support of Prof. Yaroslav Hrytsak and Prof. Gelinada Grinchenko.
- The issue opens with introductory article on “The Cause of Philosophy in Contemporary Ukraine: Questions and Answers” (in Ukrainian) by Orysia Bila and myself.
- My interviews with Prof. Anatoliy Yermolenko, Prof. Volodymyr Turchynovskyi, Dr. Volodymyr Fadeev, Dr. Vyacheslav Tysba, Dr. Oleksiy Vedrov and Dr. Candidate Ivan Ivashchenko organized in a joint material called “Philosophy in Ukraine: in the Permanent Quest for Itself“.
- My essay “Modernity and Peace. The Lessons of Kant’s Applied Enlightenment” (in Ukrainian) can be read here as well.
- My colleagues (Anton Tarasyuk, Nadia Chervinska and Yulia) and I delievered reports on the ontology of photography at the Marushchenko School of Photography in Kiev, 9 July 2019.
- It was an honour to give an itnroductory lecture on “Post-Soviet States from Commonwealth/Sodruzhestvo to Commonwreath/Sovrazhestvo” to start the Tenth International Social Science Summer School “War and Society: Making and Experiencing War (and Peace) in 19th-21st-century Eastern / Central Europe and Eurasia” in Kherson, July 2019.
- I delivered a report on the periods of the post-Soviet transition (1991-2019) at the Summer School of the London-based School for Civic Enlightenment, on May 29-30, in Segovia, Spain.
- Very intence discussion took place in Central European University – Budapest on May 25, when we – Prof. Oleksandr Fisun, Nikolai Petrov, Andrei Ryabov and myself presented our chapters in a book “Stubborn Structures.Reconceptualizing Post-Communist Regimes” (ed. by B. Magyar, with intro by Henry Hale).
- I was proud to open with the inaugural speech “Legacy of Authoritarianism in Europe after 1989-91” the Heinrigh Boell Stiftungs 8. Europäisches Geschichtsforum “1989 – 2019: Freiheit wovon? Freiheit wofür?” in Berlin on May 2019.
- My course on the results of post-Soviet transit (videos +lectures in Russian) is published at the Sapere Aude web-site, May 2019.
- I delivered lecture on ‘Post-EuroMaidan Ukraine: political developments after the revolutionary attempt‘ at The Stockholm Institute of Transition Economic (Stockholm School of Economics) on May 16, 2019.
- I delivered report “De-Sovietization of Soviet Union, 1989-91” at the University of Padova, 14 May 2019.
- I made a report on presidential elections and state of democracy in Ukraine at the Berkeley Center, Georgetown University (Washington, DC) on April 25, 2019.
- I delivered a report on Ukraine’s presidential elections at the Kennan Institute, April 24, 2019.
- Yurii Saveliev published review on my “Development and Dystopia”, March 2019.
- A chapter on the Soviet roots of Ukrainian regional clans was published in the book “Stubborn Structures. Reconceptualizing Post-Communist Regimes” edited by Balint Magyar, Budapest: CEU Press, March 2019.
- Report on researching post-Soviet ideological creativity delivered at the workshop “Modernization and social mobilization in post-Soviet countries“, Kyiv Politechnical Institute, Kyiv, 27 February 2019.
- My analysis “Presidential Elections in Ukraine: Candidates and Chances” was published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, February 13, 2019.
- A review of my book “Development and Dystopia” by Maryna Rabinovych was published at the Journal of Soviet- and Post-Soviet Politics and Society.
- I made a report on “Post-Soviet de facto states as Radical Periphery” at the International Workshop “Secessions in Europe” Between the Statehood Claims and Conflict Resolution“, Europe University Viadrina, December 6, 2018.
- Tatiana Shchyttsova and my conceptual introduction into Logos and Pathos. Humanities in the Conditions of War is published in the common issue of Ideology and Politics Journal (#3(11) 2018) and Topos Journal (#2, 2018), December 2018.
- Alexander Etkind’s and my conceptual introduction into post-Soviet transit and demodernization is published in the Ideology and Politics Journal (#1(9) 2018), November 2018.
- I reported on Universalism and Populism at the 4th Berlin Forum “In Search of Lost Universalism” November 2018.
- A book “Critical Years. Imporatnt pages of Ukrianian Revolution” (in Russian) with my introduction was published by the Laurus Publishers in Kiev, November 2018.
- Stefano Bianchini’s and my joint article on “State-building Politics after the Yugoslav and Soviet Collapse: The Western Balkans and Ukraine in a Comparative Perspective. An Introduction” is published at the Southeastern Europe Journal (3(42), 2018, pp. 291-304).
- The new issue of Southeastern Europe Journal dedicated to ‘State-Building Politics after the Yugoslav and Soviet Collapse – The Western Balkans and Ukraine in a Comparative Perspective’ is published. Prof. Stefano Bianchini and I were co-editors of this issue.
- Russian-language version of my article on Novorossian Myth in Transnational Perspective is published at the Forum noveishei vostochnoyevropeiskoi istorii i kultury, October 2018.
- I am very thankful to Dr. Marco Puleri for discussion at my book’s Development and Dystopia presentation at the Bologna University on October 26, 2018.
- It was an honour to discuss the memory role in peace-making at the Kennan Alumni Conference in Sarajevo on October 17, 2018.
- Hugely gratefull to Gwendolyn Sasse and Wilfried Jilge for discussion at my book’s Development and Dystopia presentation at ZOiS on October 11, 2018.
- Our article, written together with Ghia Nodia and Denis Cenusa, was published as a chapter “Towards becoming European-style Democracies” in a book: Emerson M. et al. (eds). “The Struggle for Good Governance in Eastern Europe” (London: Rowman and Littlefeld, 2018) pp. 9-54.
- My chapter on “Civil Society and the Power Elites after the Euromaidan in Ukraine. Competition, Cooperation, and Fusion” was published in: David Horton Smith, Alisa V. Moldavanova, and Svitlana Krasynska (eds). The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia. Civil Society Advances and Challenges (Leiden: Brill, 2018) 174-190.
- I reported on Soviet roots of post-Soviet regional clans at the BASEES conference “Regimes and Societies in Conflict: Eastern Europe and Russia since 1956” at Uppsala University, October 12-15, 2018.
- The book Demodernization. A Future in The Past (ibidem Verlag/Columbia University Press) edited by Prof. Yakov Rabkin and myself is finally out in August 2018.
- I taught a course in “Post-Soviet Political Systems and Cultures (1991-2017)” at the Summer school “Post-Soviet Governance: Theories, Cases, Actors” (Issyk-Kul, Kyrgyzstan,12-22 July 2018)
- On July 4, 2018 I discussed my book “Development and Dystopia: Studies in post-Sovier Ukraine and Eastern Europe” with Dr. Susann Worschech and Prof. Andrii Portnov at Europe University Viadrina.
Recent non-academic publications and interviews:
- My analysis of Ukraine’s electoral campaign results is published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, July 24, 2019.
- My column on Zelenskyy’s rule as a chance for Ukraine (Ukr/Rus) is published at Hromadske.TB, July 22, 2019.
- My analysis of Ukraine’s parliamentary elections’ process is published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, July 17, 2019.
- My TV interview with Liudmila Nemyria on the third wave of authoritarianism was published at the UkrLifeTV, July 19, 2019.
- My review of new elites cleavages in Ukraine is published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, July 18, 2019.
- My analysis of Ukraine’s parliamentary elections is published in the ISPI Forum, July 17, 2019.
- My interview with Oleksiy Yakubin on ideological situation in Ukraine has been published in the Spilne/ Commons.com.ua , June 5, 2019.
- My interview to Boris Reitschuster with analysis of Ukraine’s elections (in Russian) is published by OstWestTv, Berlin, May 3, 2019.
- An interview with Volodymyr Masliichuk on definitions of 20th century was published on Historians.org, April 28, 2019.
- Georgian journalist from 1TV.GE published interview with me, April 7, 2019.
- My papers on elecctoral process in Ukraine (1, 2) is published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, February – March, 2019.
- My analysis of electoral situation in Ukraine is published by Carnegie.Ru, March 13, 2019.
- My interview on the results of Euromaidan five years after at Hromadske TV is published, February 20, 2019.
- My interview on the martial law in Ukraine for OstWest TV Channel in Berlin was published on November 26, 2018.
- My interview “Ukraine predicted the future for other post-Soviet countries” was published at the ZOiS on October 10, 2018.
- Great discussion of my book Development and Dystopia and the edited volume of Demodernization.A Future in the Past with Liudmila Nemyria at Ukrlife.TV, October 2018.
- I presented my book Development and Dystopia and the edited volume of Demodernization.A Future in the Past at Andrei Buzarov’s TV Program, September 2018.
- My interview on populism in Ukraine is published at the VoxUkraine (in Eng, Ukr and Rus), May 2018.
- My interview on democratic progress in Ukraine is published at the Cairn.Info (France) in April 2018.
If you are intersted in my academic projects and publications, please visit Research&Publications
You may find interesting materials at Public Events page where I post my attempts of discussing philosophical ideas with the wider audiences or apply scholarly methods for analysis of reality we live in.
I am greateful
to Nadiya Kravets for the idea of creating this web site and
to Mykhailo Koltsov who turned it into reality.