Thank you for visiting this site!
Here I report on recent events and keep materials that I find important to share with you!
- I am honored to announce the opening of Koine.Community platphorm bringing voices of Eastern European philosophers to you. You can follow K.C on its site, Telegram or on Facebook page.
- A discussion (iin Russian) with Mikhail Nemtsev on Post-Soviet ideologies facing COVID-19 on virtual platform of the School of Civic Education wsa published on 25 March 2020.
- My article on “Hundred years of the Ukrainian political system” (in Russian: Stoletiie ukrainskoi politicheskoi sistemy) is published at Neprikosnovennyi Zapas, #129 on March 2020.
- While we are all on quarantine, lets take time to think more and work fighting dismay of the time!
Recent academic reports and publications:
- My article “POST-SOVIET EASTERN EUROPE. ACHIEVEMENTS IN POST-SOVIET DEVELOPMENT IN SIX EASTERN EUROPEAN NATIONS, 1991–2020” was published at the IPJ #3(14), 2019.
- My book review “PLURALIST NOSTALGIES FOR MULTIPLE PERESTROIKAS. BOOK REVIEW: Li Bennich-Björkman, Sergiy Kurbatov (Eds.) When the Future Came. The Collapse of the Soviet Union and the Emergence of National Memory in Post-Soviet History Textbooks” was published at the IPJ #3(14), 2019.
- Yana Prymachenko and I published an intro “THE VELVET REVOLUTIONS OF 1989: A LASTING ‘END OF HISTORY’?” for the new IPJ issue (#3(14) 2019), The Freedom and Subjection in the Long 1989 Year. Societies in Eastern and Southern Europe in 1989/91.
- Alexander Etkind’s Intro into Post-Soviet Ideologies (Stuttgart: ibidem, 2020) can be read here: Post-Soviet Ideological Creativity.
- Very happy two books are being published:
- I delivered my report on the Impact of post-Soviet secessionism on irredentists in Ukraine’s Donbas, 2014-19, at the URIS alumni conference at Basel University, 29-31 January 2020. Thank you collagues for a great discussion!
- It was a great discussion at the Basel university’s Institute for European Studies during my report on “Democracy and Authoritarianism in Eastern Europe, 1989–2019” at the Basel University seminar on Ringvorlesung «Polen in Europa – Europa in Polen», 11 December 2019.
- I delivered a lecture on post-Soviet de facto states at the Geneva University, December 5, 2019.
- I participated in the panel on media and democracy Berlin Forum: In the quest of a lost universalism, November 23-25, 2019.
- I was honored to participate in the international seminar on the role of intellectual in the contemporary post-Soviet scieties, European Institute University, Florence, November 21-23, 2019.
- Report on the results of president Zelenskyy’s first six months in office at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, 14 November 2019, Washington, DC.
- Report on post-Soviet demodernization at the presentation of the books “Development and Dystopia” and “Demodernization” at the Europakolloquium at the Institute for European Global Studies, Basel University, 29 October 2019.
- The text of my lecture “Solidarity after democracy and Europe” (in Russian) was pubished by the Student Republic, 22 October 2019.
- I was an honor to deliver two lectures at the Geneva University dedicated to the Soviet modenization and post-Soviet modernization and demodernization, October 16, 2019.
- My research “TRANSFORMATION OF THE COLLECTIVE MEMORY. THE IDE OLOGICAL FUNCTION OF THE UKRAINIAN INSTITUTE OF NATIONAL MEMORY IN 2014-2017” (in German) is published at: “PORÓWNANIA” 1 (24), 2019. Vol. XXIV, P. 27-39.
- My study of Ukraine’s democracy development (1991-2019) (in Ukr.) was published at the Strategic Group Sofia, 3 October 2019.
- It was an honor to discuss demodernization and “regressive sociality” concepts with Tatyana Shchtsova and Alexander Dmitriev at the Belarussian Studies Congress in Vilnius, 27 September 2019.
- I am happy to see my book “History of Experience” being published in Russian at Laurus, September 2019.
- My philosophic introduction “Between Fire and Fire. From Flash to Flash of the Ukrainian Revolutions (in Eng., RUs. and Ukr)” to the “Between Fire and Fire: Ukrainian Art Now” (Semperdepot, Vienna, 20 September – 8 October 2019) exhibition is published in the exibition album.
- I am honored to join History Department of the Basel University as URIS visiting scholar for the fall semester 2019.
- My new article on Ukrainians assessment of the Choice 1991 (in Russian) was published in Форум новейшей восточноевропейской истории и культуры, August 2019.
- Orysia Bila and I have finished the work on the Ukraina Moderna Journal special issue #26 dedicated to contemporary Ukraine’s philosophy. The issue “Philosophy Case in contemporary Ukraine” was published in August 2019 due to support of Prof. Yaroslav Hrytsak and Prof. Gelinada Grinchenko.
- The issue opens with introductory article on “The Cause of Philosophy in Contemporary Ukraine: Questions and Answers” (in Ukrainian) by Orysia Bila and myself.
- My interviews with Prof. Anatoliy Yermolenko, Prof. Volodymyr Turchynovskyi, Dr. Volodymyr Fadeev, Dr. Vyacheslav Tysba, Dr. Oleksiy Vedrov and Dr. Candidate Ivan Ivashchenko organized in a joint material called “Philosophy in Ukraine: in the Permanent Quest for Itself“.
- My essay “Modernity and Peace. The Lessons of Kant’s Applied Enlightenment” (in Ukrainian) can be read here as well.
- My colleagues (Anton Tarasyuk, Nadia Chervinska and Yulia) and I delievered reports on the ontology of photography at the Marushchenko School of Photography in Kiev, 9 July 2019.
- It was an honour to give an itnroductory lecture on “Post-Soviet States from Commonwealth/Sodruzhestvo to Commonwreath/Sovrazhestvo” to start the Tenth International Social Science Summer School “War and Society: Making and Experiencing War (and Peace) in 19th-21st-century Eastern / Central Europe and Eurasia” in Kherson, July 2019.
Recent non-academic publications and interviews:
- My interview on Modern and De-Modern traits in post-Soviet socities is published on Vesti.UA, March 3, 2020.
- My interview with UkrLife.TV’s Liudmila Nemyria on post-Soviet history, February 28, 2020.
- Interview on history of modernity in Eastern Europe at the Idealist,TV (in Russian), February 29, 2020.
- Andrian Prokip and I just have published an article on how media leackages deform our democracy, Ukraine’s Democratic Leakocracy, at Kennan Focus Ukraine, February 27, 2020.
- An article, written in cooperation with Matt Rojansky, on Zelenskyy’s first six months rule was published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, 13 November 2019.
- My tv-interview on the spirit of time under Zelenskyy regime is published at the Apostroph TV, September 27, 2019.
- My interview on new generation in Ukrainian politics (Rus.) is published at the Ukrfife.TV, September 16, 2019.
- My article of the risks of Zelenskyy’s presidentialism is published in Kennan Focus Ukraine, September 9, 2019.
- My analysis of Ukraine’s electoral campaign results is published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, July 24, 2019.
- My column on Zelenskyy’s rule as a chance for Ukraine (Ukr/Rus) is published at Hromadske.TB, July 22, 2019.
- My analysis of Ukraine’s parliamentary elections’ process is published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, July 17, 2019.
- My TV interview with Liudmila Nemyria on the third wave of authoritarianism was published at the UkrLifeTV, July 19, 2019.
- My review of new elites cleavages in Ukraine is published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, July 18, 2019.
- My analysis of Ukraine’s parliamentary elections is published in the ISPI Forum, July 17, 2019.
If you are intersted in my academic projects and publications, please visit Research&Publications
You may find interesting materials at Public Events page where I post my attempts of discussing philosophical ideas with the wider audiences or apply scholarly methods for analysis of reality we live in.
I am greateful
to Nadiya Kravets for the idea of creating this web site and
to Mykhailo Koltsov who turned it into reality.