Thank you for visiting this site!
Here I report on recent events and keep materials that I find important to share with you!
- I count days for a start of the Tenth International Social Science Summer School “War and Society: Making and Experiencing War (and Peace) in 19th-21st-century Eastern / Central Europe and Eurasia” in Kherson, July 2019.
- Looking forward to continue my resaerch as a URIS Fellow at the Basel University during the fall semester 2019.
Recent academic reports and publications:
- I delivered a report on the periods of the post-Soviet transition (1991-2019) at the Summer School of the London-based School for Civic Enlightenment, on May 29-30, in Segovia, Spain.
- Very intence discussion took place in Central European University – Budapest on May 25, when we – Prof. Oleksandr Fisun, Nikolai Petrov, Andrei Ryabov and myself presented our chapters in a book “Stubborn Structures.Reconceptualizing Post-Communist Regimes” (ed. by B. Magyar, with intro by Henry Hale).
- I was proud to open with the inaugural speech “Legacy of Authoritarianism in Europe after 1989-91” the Heinrigh Boell Stiftungs 8. Europäisches Geschichtsforum “1989 – 2019: Freiheit wovon? Freiheit wofür?” in Berlin on May 2019.
- My course on the results of post-Soviet transit (videos +lectures in Russian) is published at the Sapere Aude web-site, May 2019.
- I delivered lecture on ‘Post-EuroMaidan Ukraine: political developments after the revolutionary attempt‘ at The Stockholm Institute of Transition Economic (Stockholm School of Economics) on May 16, 2019.
- I delivered report “De-Sovietization of Soviet Union, 1989-91” at the University of Padova, 14 May 2019.
- I made a report on presidential elections and state of democracy in Ukraine at the Berkeley Center, Georgetown University (Washington, DC) on April 25, 2019.
- I delivered a report on Ukraine’s presidential elections at the Kennan Institute, April 24, 2019.
- Yurii Saveliev published review on my “Development and Dystopia”, March 2019.
- A chapter on the Soviet roots of Ukrainian regional clans was published in the book “Stubborn Structures. Reconceptualizing Post-Communist Regimes” edited by Balint Magyar, Budapest: CEU Press, March 2019.
- Report on researching post-Soviet ideological creativity delivered at the workshop “Modernization and social mobilization in post-Soviet countries“, Kyiv Politechnical Institute, Kyiv, 27 February 2019.
- My analysis “Presidential Elections in Ukraine: Candidates and Chances” was published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, February 13, 2019.
- A review of my book “Development and Dystopia” by Maryna Rabinovych was published at the Journal of Soviet- and Post-Soviet Politics and Society.
- I made a report on “Post-Soviet de facto states as Radical Periphery” at the International Workshop “Secessions in Europe” Between the Statehood Claims and Conflict Resolution“, Europe University Viadrina, December 6, 2018.
- Tatiana Shchyttsova and my conceptual introduction into Logos and Pathos. Humanities in the Conditions of War is published in the common issue of Ideology and Politics Journal (#3(11) 2018) and Topos Journal (#2, 2018), December 2018.
- Alexander Etkind’s and my conceptual introduction into post-Soviet transit and demodernization is published in the Ideology and Politics Journal (#1(9) 2018), November 2018.
- I reported on Universalism and Populism at the 4th Berlin Forum “In Search of Lost Universalism” November 2018.
- A book “Critical Years. Imporatnt pages of Ukrianian Revolution” (in Russian) with my introduction was published by the Laurus Publishers in Kiev, November 2018.
- Stefano Bianchini’s and my joint article on “State-building Politics after the Yugoslav and Soviet Collapse: The Western Balkans and Ukraine in a Comparative Perspective. An Introduction” is published at the Southeastern Europe Journal (3(42), 2018, pp. 291-304).
- The new issue of Southeastern Europe Journal dedicated to ‘State-Building Politics after the Yugoslav and Soviet Collapse – The Western Balkans and Ukraine in a Comparative Perspective’ is published. Prof. Stefano Bianchini and I were co-editors of this issue.
- Russian-language version of my article on Novorossian Myth in Transnational Perspective is published at the Forum noveishei vostochnoyevropeiskoi istorii i kultury, October 2018.
- I am very thankful to Dr. Marco Puleri for discussion at my book’s Development and Dystopia presentation at the Bologna University on October 26, 2018.
- It was an honour to discuss the memory role in peace-making at the Kennan Alumni Conference in Sarajevo on October 17, 2018.
- Hugely gratefull to Gwendolyn Sasse and Wilfried Jilge for discussion at my book’s Development and Dystopia presentation at ZOiS on October 11, 2018.
- Our article, written together with Ghia Nodia and Denis Cenusa, was published as a chapter “Towards becoming European-style Democracies” in a book: Emerson M. et al. (eds). “The Struggle for Good Governance in Eastern Europe” (London: Rowman and Littlefeld, 2018) pp. 9-54.
- My chapter on “Civil Society and the Power Elites after the Euromaidan in Ukraine. Competition, Cooperation, and Fusion” was published in: David Horton Smith, Alisa V. Moldavanova, and Svitlana Krasynska (eds). The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia. Civil Society Advances and Challenges (Leiden: Brill, 2018) 174-190.
- I reported on Soviet roots of post-Soviet regional clans at the BASEES conference “Regimes and Societies in Conflict: Eastern Europe and Russia since 1956” at Uppsala University, October 12-15, 2018.
- The book Demodernization. A Future in The Past (ibidem Verlag/Columbia University Press) edited by Prof. Yakov Rabkin and myself is finally out in August 2018.
- I taught a course in “Post-Soviet Political Systems and Cultures (1991-2017)” at the Summer school “Post-Soviet Governance: Theories, Cases, Actors” (Issyk-Kul, Kyrgyzstan,12-22 July 2018)
- On July 4, 2018 I discussed my book “Development and Dystopia: Studies in post-Sovier Ukraine and Eastern Europe” with Dr. Susann Worschech and Prof. Andrii Portnov at Europe University Viadrina.
Recent non-academic publications and interviews:
- My interview with Oleksiy Yakubin on ideological situation in Ukraine has been published in the Spilne/ Commons.com.ua , June 5, 2019.
- My interview to Boris Reitschuster with analysis of Ukraine’s elections (in Russian) is published by OstWestTv, Berlin, May 3, 2019.
- An interview with Volodymyr Masliichuk on definitions of 20th century was published on Historians.org, April 28, 2019.
- Georgian journalist from 1TV.GE published interview with me, April 7, 2019.
- My papers on elecctoral process in Ukraine (1, 2) is published at the Kennan Focus Ukraine, February – March, 2019.
- My analysis of electoral situation in Ukraine is published by Carnegie.Ru, March 13, 2019.
- My interview on the results of Euromaidan five years after at Hromadske TV is published, February 20, 2019.
- My interview on the martial law in Ukraine for OstWest TV Channel in Berlin was published on November 26, 2018.
- My interview “Ukraine predicted the future for other post-Soviet countries” was published at the ZOiS on October 10, 2018.
- Great discussion of my book Development and Dystopia and the edited volume of Demodernization.A Future in the Past with Liudmila Nemyria at Ukrlife.TV, October 2018.
- I presented my book Development and Dystopia and the edited volume of Demodernization.A Future in the Past at Andrei Buzarov’s TV Program, September 2018.
- My interview on populism in Ukraine is published at the VoxUkraine (in Eng, Ukr and Rus), May 2018.
- My interview on democratic progress in Ukraine is published at the Cairn.Info (France) in April 2018.
If you are intersted in my academic projects and publications, please visit Research&Publications
You may find interesting materials at Public Events page where I post my attempts of discussing philosophical ideas with the wider audiences or apply scholarly methods for analysis of reality we live in.
I am greateful
to Nadiya Kravets for the idea of creating this web site and
to Mykhailo Koltsov who turned it into reality.